The client’s brief was to renovate the existing Queenslander and extend out the back by two floors, build a self contained unit underneath and create their new character styled, open plan, family home. Oh and can we use the colour Black? Of course we can!
The solution was to retain all existing character details, where possible and create a unique, eclectic, character but modern feel inside. All existing timber flooring was sanded back and reused. Floor tiles and handmade rugs were used throughout except for the staircase and upstairs bedrooms which were fitted with natural sisal flooring.
Custom moulded ceiling panels, traditional architrave and skirting details, custom designed cabinets and joinery, subway wall tiles, black tapware and fittings, imported chandeliers and floor tiles all help to build the character of the new home. Older pieces of furniture and decor items were brought back to life where possible. Even an old marble side table was fitted with a new hand basin and plumbing to change its use to an new bathroom vanity basin.
HEALTHIER & SUSTAINABLE BUILDING DETAILS:
- Enhanced cross-ventilation.
- Large roof overhangs to rear outdoor deck.
- Up-cycled client’s existing decor & furniture.
- Reused existing timber flooring,
- Natural sisal carpet for bedrooms and tiles and rugs elsewhere.
- VOC free paints for walls, ceilings, cabinets & joinery.
- Low VOC MDF for cabinets.