15 Aug Recycled Timber Kitchen Counter, Drawers and Cupboard Doors
Posted at 15:04h in RECYCLED & NATURAL HOMES, the KITCHEN, TIMBER KITCHENS, Uncategorized 0 Comments
|Image from, photo by Pernille Kaalund|
Earlier this year I was designing a kitchen for a client using recycled timber for the kitchen counter and recycled painted timber for the cupboard and drawer fronts. If you wish to try this as a DIY project there are a few things to consider when sourcing the timber and designing your kitchen counter.
- Avoid using timber that has lead paint on the surface.
- Avoid timber that has been previously damaged by water.
- Install a sink with a drainer to avoid wet dishes on the timber surface.
- Use a food grade, non toxic, wax/oil sealer for the bench top.
- Think about possible joint movement when using recycled timber.
- Try to use recycled timber where possible. If you have to use new timber consider sourcing timber from a certified sustainable managed source.